Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sign Off

I was leafing through my daughter's yearbook and several of the senior quotes stood out:

"You need three things to succeed in life: A wishbone, a backbone, and a funnybone."

"Everything will be okay in the end, if it's not okay, it's not the end."

"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever."

"I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

And I thought what a wonderful thing to look at your life and attempt to create or find a quote that represents who you are at that moment. A message not only to your current friends (and yourself) but a shout out to your future self. This is what I was like! Remember! Why do we only do this when we graduate high school?

And then, I thought, these senior quotes are like their personal sign-offs, like Edward R. Murrow's Good night, and good luck, or Walter Cronkite's And that's the way it is, or even Porky Pig's That's All Folks. Wouldn't it be great if we all had our own personal sign-off, some little slice of verbage that captures all three facets of who we are: what we look like, how we define ourselves (work or hobby), and our philosophy of life. I considered this for a long time, and I believe I have found mine. For those who know me, they will instantly recognize that my sign-off is the perfect description of my "uniform," that it most definitely reflects the work I do, and hopefully represents my take chances, critics-be-damned outlook. I recommend that everyone create their own sign-off and post them here. I'll end this post and all future posts with mine. Get Dirty!

6 comments:

  1. Love your insights! I had to laugh about the green knees, as I had just thrown my jeans in the washer for that very reason. Since I never seem to be able to completely finish one thing before another encroaches, my sign off has become "Later, 'tater!" meaning that I'm just movin' on but I'll be back around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughed when I read "if it's not OK, it's not the end".

    Hmmm... so now I'm wondering what my sign off should be. Will have to give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came over because of Lori's mention; enjoy your posts very much. I'll be back when I've decided on a sign off - best wishes on both your book and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just loved your post! My high school reunion is coming up shortly (40th)!! so I've been looking thru the old yr.book and laughing myself. And my sign off is "Happy Trails". I've always been in love w/ Roy Rogers. I'm following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, finally figured out my Sign Off. It might be temporary - coz I change my mind a lot.
    "Hoping for the Best, While Planning for the Worst"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you feel something long after a friend tells you something heartfelt. Love your pastel "At Peace".

    ReplyDelete